logo1 Services Home Links Contact always
Assessment & Advice Training Packages Therapeutic work

Full Potential Psychology offers professional and independent educational psychology assessments.


Educational psychologists work closely with parents, early years settings, schools, academies, specialist provisions and colleges to ensure that assessments are targeted, comprehensive and informative.  An 'assess, plan, do, review' approach is adopted within psychological work.  An in-depth report may be produced following the assessment detailing the information ascertained during involvement, highlighting identified areas of strength and difficulty within the child’s profile. The report will  include empirically-based recommendations and advice regarding how to best support the child/young person to meet their full potential, to be able to enjoy and access learning, attain and progress. An educational assessment may involve observation of the child/young person, cognitive and/or dynamic assessments, emotional and behavioural assessment and consultation.


Can these assessments be used to inform the statutory assessment of a child/young person’s special educational needs (SEN) as part of an Educational Health Care Plan assessment (EHCP)?


Yes.  The SEND Code of Practice (2015) states that where pupils are not making expected progress despite empirically-based teaching and learning approaches and support, then the school should consider the involvement of specialists. The school should consult with parents in any decision to involve specialists (6.58-6.59).  Schools should, where needed, access specialist support quickly and can directly commission Educational Psychologists from other providers (6.60-6.61).  When considering information for an EHCP local authorities should adopt a 'tell it once' approach and families and young people should not have to repeat the same information (9.33). 'The local authority must not seek further advice if such advice has already been provided (for any purpose) and the person providing the advice, the local authority and the child's parent or young person are all satisfied that it is sufficient for the assessment process'(9.47). Where the local authority Educational Psychologist becomes involved they should consult with any other psychologists known to be involved with the child or young person (9.49).